Tunbridge Wells, Kent, UK, November 4, 2015 -- /EPR NETWORK/ -- epgonline.org and faculty experts Melanie Davies, MD, Ele Ferrannini, MD and Jens Juul Holst, MD are pleased to announce the launch of a new type 2 diabetes mellitus CME activity. This activity is intended for healthcare professionals involved in the treatment and management of patients with this condition.
In 2014 it was estimated that 387 million adults worldwide between the ages of 20-79 years had type 2 diabetes mellitus. This figure is expected to rise to 592 million people by 2035. As well as this, it is estimated that 179 million people are living undiagnosed with the condition1. Global health spending to treat diabetes and manage complications was calculated to be at least US$612 billion in 2014, which was 11% of all health spending on adults2.
This CME activity has been developed with the intention of supporting healthcare professionals in seeking appropriate and effective treatment options for their diabetic patients. The activity is titled ‘Best Practice in Type 2 Diabetes: Update on Incretin Therapies in Combination with Insulin’. Healthcare professionals are required to complete all five modules including an expert panel discussion video, CME quiz and a short evaluation survey. The expert panel discussion covers topics relating to the challenges of treating patients with type 2 diabetes mellitus.
To complete the activity, healthcare professionals will need to register for free on epgonline.org and go to the following address: http://www.epgonline.org/diabetes/type-2/cme/update-on-incretin-therapies-in-combination-with-insulin/. The CME is located within the Type 2 Diabetes Learning Zone – an educational area containing a wealth of content on type 2 diabetes including a Knowledge Centre, Therapy Focus section and an additional CME activity.
“We are delighted to partner with Novo Nordisk in producing our newest type 2 diabetes CME activity” said Dr Toby Galbraith, Director of Content Strategy for epgonline.org. “The aim is to educate healthcare professionals on emerging combination therapy options and help to tackle the increasing incidence of type 2 diabetes mellitus.”
Notes to Editors:
• EPG Health Media (Europe) Ltd publishes www.epgonline.org, an independent website dedicated to providing healthcare professionals worldwide with free access to a comprehensive range of disease and medicines information. Categorised by medical specialty, content within epgonline.org includes a multi-language database of approved medications, treatment guidelines, clinical trial reports, journal abstracts, latest drug and medical industry news and a blog written by members.
• EPG Health Media (Europe) Ltd publishes www.epgonline.org, an independent website dedicated to providing healthcare professionals worldwide with free access to a comprehensive range of disease and medicines information.
• Headquartered in Denmark, Novo Nordisk is a global healthcare company with 90 years of innovation and leadership in diabetes care. Additionally, the company has leading positions within haemophilia care, growth hormone therapy and hormone replacement therapy. Novo Nordisk has approximately 38,000 employees across 75 countries, with a market spanning more than 180 countries.
1. Diabetes UK. Diabetes: Facts and stats. Version 4. May 2015. Available at: https://www.diabetes.org.uk/Documents/Position%20statements/Facts%20and%20stats%20June%202015.pdf (accessed 27 July 2015)
2. International Diabetes Federation. Diabetes atlas: sixth edition. 2014 Update. Available at: http://www.idf.org/diabetesatlas (accessed 27 July 2015).
Contact-Details: Kristie Marchant, Online Community Manager
EPG Health Media (Europe) Ltd
51-55 The Pantiles