Fort Atkinson, WI., 2017-Mar-31 — /EPR Network/ —Local craft beer taproom featuring Bent Kettle craft beer is now open every Thursday – Sunday in downtown Fort Atkinson, WI., located in the former 88 Underground / Velvet Lips Lounge.
Bent Kettle Brewing has built a strong local following for its inventive and tasty microbrews sold in cans and bottles. Now this fan base can meet up at the Bent Kettle taproom and enjoy brews together and chat with the founders and master brewer. The taproom is owned by James Jorgenson and brew master Mark Cook.
James Jorgenson, of Fort Atkinson, and Mark Cook, a former Fort Atkinson resident who currently lives in Madison, has been operating their craft brewing venture for a few years. Their craft beers are found on tap at various restaurants and bars all over Wisconsin.
In 2016 they had a vision to locate a brew house/taproom right in their home town of Fort Atkinson. They did just that in January 2017, when the duo opened Bent Kettle Taproom in the former 88 Underground and, previously, Velvet Lips Lounge downtown.
The craft beer taproom operates in a truly unique. The former 88 Underground is a historic basement space. Above it, where once a historic building stood, is Catfish Alley, complete with its signature catfish sculpture hung overhead.
The taproom’s address is 10 N. Water Street West, as its entrance is on the side street. “When we learned this place was available, we contacted the owner and were able to work out a deal,” said Jorgenson, who serves as taproom operations manager while Cook is brewmaster.
Taproom in Historical Location
“The two buildings that surround it were built in 1888 and 1892, and Jorgenson said that the central building that once was situated there might have been older yet,” claims Jorgenson, who serves on the Historical Preservation Committee for the City of Fort Atkinson.
The historic basement of the original building remains, and is decorated with fun wall colors and fabrics, a fireplace, antique furniture, a private poker room, and a 100-year-old pool table that once was enjoyed in the century-old Fort Atkinson Club.
Even the chalkboard on which the menu is written is an antique, having come from a local grade school many years ago. “So it’s probably over 100 years old too,” Jorgenson said.
Casual Fun Atmosphere
“The atmosphere is really casual, like you are in someone’s living room,” said Sue Hartwick, who helps out stocking the bar. Mark Cook, the brewmaster, is a semi-retired optometrist of over 30 years, and he continues to practice in that field in his spare time while coming up with creative new craft brew flavors in his full time venture with Bent Kettle.
Now that the Bent Kettle taproom has opened in Fort Atkinson, the beers’ reputation is spreading further. A lot of locals come in, as do beer aficionados from the Milwaukee area and farther off.
“On opening night, it was shoulder-to-shoulder,” Hartwick said. “It’s all about the beer. It just shows how well known the beer already is.”
Because the patrons of the Bent Kettle taproom really are interested in taste and not just getting a buzz, Jorgenson said, the taproom doesn’t have the same kind of trouble that many regular bars do with drunks and rebellious revelers.
“The people who come here are looking to try something new because they love the taste,” he said.
The craft beer taproom also has a modest menu of tasty treats and full dishes that compliment the craft brews. The menu features pulled pork sandwiches, Milwaukee-made Bavarian-style soft pretzels, quesadillas, chips and guacamole, chips and salsa, and a cheese-and-meat platter to name a few of many entrees. “It all goes really great with the beer,” Jorgenson said.
“We have kind of a minimal kitchen, but we get some stuff from Scott Arndt, the caterer next door, and he does a really good job,” Jorgenson said, referring to the owner of the Soulful Toad.
Craft Brew Choices
As for the beverage list, the first beer they brewed and is still in production is Insolence Double IPA (India Pale Ale), which remains a favorite today. The Velvet Lips, a newer Double IPA, is named after an establishment that formerly occupied the Fort Atkinson taproom space. Jorgenson described it as a New England-style brew, saying, “Oh my goodness, is that stuff good.”
More craft beers to choose from include:
Thwack Smoked IPA,
Go Fasters Amber Rye,
Oh Em Gee Porter,
K’Paui Coconut Porter,
Sha-Wing Vanilla Porter,
Making Mischief (oatmeal brown with a hint of Twinkies),
Occam’s Razor Belgian style dubbel,
Barrel Aged K’Paui,
Disregarde Bier de Garde,
New craft beer flavors, guest taps and “one-offs” will be offered as they become available. “We are always going to have our Bent Kettle beers here, and also a mix of guest beers,” Jorgenson said. “Then we’ll have a rotating mix of experimental brews that can only be tried here.”
Jorgenson said that even though the taproom is really tucked away, customers have been coming in steadily, alerted through word-of-mouth, publicity through the press and local media and special thanks to positive reviews of the local brews.
Many of Bent Kettle’s brews have earned top marks from regional reviewers.
Robin Shepard, beer editor for Madison’s Isthmus newspaper, listed Bent Kettle’s K’Paui Coconut Porter as a personal favorite in his Top 10 list for the “Beer Buzz” column.
Chris Drosner, who writes the “Beer Baron” column for the Wisconsin State Journal, also did a lengthy write-up on K’Paui, which has become a favorite dessert beer.
And in March 2017 Bent Kettle’s Thwack Smoked IPA was invited to participate in Hop Cat’s March Madness IPA competition.
Contact, Location and Hours
Address: 10 N. Water Street West, Fort Atkinson, WI.
Hours: 5 to 10 p.m. Thursday through Saturday and 2 to 6 p.m. Sunday, although the proprietors reserve the right to remain open “’til close” if there’s a good crowd going. In addition, the taproom offering up its venue for special events and parties.
- M. Davis & Sons Provides High-Tech Solutions with Messer Plasma Cutting Equipment
- Whirlpools World Spain eröffnet in Teulada größten Whirlpool-Showroom in ganz Spanien
- Whirlpools World Spain opens biggest whirlpool bath showroom in the whole country
- RCH Group to Showcase Innovative Selling Solutions at EuroCIS
- MeetingPackage.com Präsentiert einzigartiges Reservierungsportal für Meetings & Events
- MeetingPackage.com Lance son Moteur de Réservation Exclusif pour Réunions & Événements
- MeetingPackage.com Introduces Unique Booking Engine for Meetings & Events
- ANECON becomes Nagarro
- UK Education Consultancy Services Ltd announced that the premiere issue of Scientific European® (a popular science magazine) is released on 19 January 2018
- RCH Europe to Present Smart Solutions for POS at INTERGASTRA 2018
- ADVENTURE KINGS SOLAR PANEL RANGE – HOW MUCH POWER DO I NEED?
- Raport: Jak zaoszczędzić na hiszpańskich wakacjach nad morzem
- Onthuld: zo vind je de beste deals voor je zomervakantie naar Spanje
- Finden Sie diesen Sommer die besten Spanien Angebote in der Zwischensaison
- Revealed: How to get the best value savings on your Spanish summer holiday
- Point of Sale Systems: RCH Group Expands European Operations
- Racing Towards Retailization: WishKnish and InstantAccess.io Bring Down Usability Barriers to True Blockchain Adoption
- Airport Parking Helper Website Expands To Serve 130 Airports
- Adomik a obtenu la 14e place au classement 2017 TECHNOLOGY FAST 500 pour la zone EMEA et la 3e place au classement Deloitte 2017 TECHNOLOGY FAST 50 pour la France
- Adomik auf Rang 14 der 2017 TECHNOLOGY FAST 500 EMEA und auf Platz 3 der Deloitte 2017 TECHNOLOGY FAST 50 für Frankreich
- Adomik Awarded #14 Ranking in 2017 TECHNOLOGY FAST 500, EMEA; #3 ranking in Deloitte 2017 TECHNOLOGY FAST 50 for France
- MeetingPackage.com Launches its Exclusive Affiliate Partner Program
- P2P Investment Loan Platform Enters Blockchain Sector with ICO Launch
- International Symposium on the Accessibility to High-Value Medicine, December 5-6, 2017, London
- Axiomatics Releases New Version of SmartGuard™ for Big Data
- No Time To Waste! Conference Takes a Practical Approach to Tackling Waste Crime
- HET DIGITALE EINDEJAARSVUURWERK VAN ONELIFE!
- LE FEU D’ARTIFICE DIGITAL DE FIN D’ANNEE DE ONELIFE !
- ONELIFE’S YEAR-END DIGITAL FIREWORKS!
- Alliance News riceve un investimento strategico da parte di PA Group e dpa per sostenere l’espansione nell’area EMEA
- #SUCCESVOL #VERHUIZEN: VERHUIZEN NAAR HET BUITENLAND
- #REUSSIR SON #EXPATRIATION: LE PARCOURS DE L’EXPATRIATION
- #SUCCESS IN #RELOCATION: THE RELOCATION JOURNEY
- 99X Technology hosts its first international breakfast seminar on digitalization in Oslo
- Ms. America 2017 Oksana Vovk is a special guest at the Newport Beach Sculpture Exhibition, Phase III
- Spain-Holiday.com City Break Cost Index Autumn Winter 2017
- Simply Innovative Products, Inc. Receives First Samples off Production Mold
- M. Davis & Sons Acquires Val-Tech Inc.
- TechTrans Announces Partnership with Tidel
- Continuing Growth Triggers Expansion and New Office in Spain for MeetingPackage.com
- Top Performing Investment Manager, Chetan Kapur of ThinkStrategy Capital, Went Way Above and Beyond for Investors which Enjoyed Leading Returns for a Decade
- 99X Technology drives digital disruption at Webdagene 2017 Oslo
- The Certified Angus Beef® brand honors retail, distributor stars
- FOURTEEN ADDITIONAL COMPANIES ENTER INTO PATENT LICENSE AGREEMENTS WITH CHRIMAR
- В Киеве состоится SphereCon 2017 – конференция, объединяющая Ruby on Rails, Go, разработчиков программного обеспечения и дизайнеров
- TechTrans Announces Partnership with Tidel
- Axiomatics Data-Centric Dynamic Authorization Product Suite Recommended in New KuppingerCole Analyst Report
- Throne of Lies, the highly anticipated online game of Deceit, launches on Steam
- SecBI and Innovery Announce Partnership to Promote SecBI’s “Autonomous Investigation” Cybersecurity Solution to the Italian and Spanish Markets
- "Heillandi Peking" Ljósmyndasýning um ferðalög haldin í Reykjavík
- Grammy Winner Coolio & Wrestling Legend Virgil on an Adult Star’s Presidential Ticket – Press Conference
- Promwad partners with Asian chip vendors to offer cost-effective electronic designs in Europe
- Invacare introduce their first touch screen remote
- Invacare International take powerchairs to a new level
- Industrial Laser Peening Research at ZAL Techcenter
- Blind Children Find New Hope Through Music in Wuhan, China
- Sogu has launched its first KickStarter Campaign
- NFINOX Forex and CFD Broker Increases Additional Client Money Insurance to £1,000,000
- Police Body Cameras by X-Surveillance
- Forms-2-Go – Complete Set of Business Forms for Smartphones, Tablets and PCs
- BookingPal annonce un nouveau partenariat avec Arkiane
- Laser Peening Metal Enhancement System Sold to ZAL Center of Applied Aeronautical Research in Hamburg
- TS EMEA to Exhibit at AEGPL 2017 with NextGen Mobility Solutions On Hand
- Consumers Demand Benevolent Capitalism
- New Apps to Download Facebook posts and Twitter tweets
- Comment trouver un bon professeur sur le Web?
- MEDLAB Series expands its presence into Europe
- Jeff Martin Produces Exquisite Debut EP for New Australian Indie Duo, Secret Solis
- Radius Travel anuncia su asociación con mTrip en soluciones móviles para empresas
- Taste of Adventure Wins 2017 FoodTrekking Award for Best Food Travel Blog
- Radius Travel anuncia su asociación con mTrip en soluciones móviles para empresas
- Milestone for the diagnosis of inflammatory bowel disease
- BLINGBY ANNOUNCES PARTNERSHIP WITH BRITISH POP DUO OMYO
- KIWITECH ANNOUNCES STRATEGIC PARTNERSHIP WITH BLINGBY
- Oregon Grow Cabinets Launches Today - Home Growing, Refined
- BroadSource Launches EMU SaaS in Europe
- B&B Hotels selects Vertical Booking CRS for enterprise hotel distribution across their 400 hotels
- Soracom launched secure and scalable IoT platform in Europe
- Nor-Tech Offers European Organizations Free Simulation Tests on a High Performance Computer Cluster for CAE, CFD, FEA Software
- ExpressVPN svela il sito multilingue
- ExpressVPN présente son site décliné en plusieurs langues
- Alliance News lancia il primo servizio di news finanziarie in lingua italiana attivo 24 ore
- Der ehemalige Banker Mike Baur verrät sein Erfolgsrezept für die Schweizer Wirtschaft
- LINKS Foundation
- Preply, plateforme d’amélioration continue pour le tutorat et les études en ligne, arrive en France
- PARENTS WHO WANT TO STYLE THEIR CHILDREN IN THE LATEST STREET STYLE AND FASHION TRENDS CAN NOW DO SO THANKS TO MINI TREND
- MDM GROUP AG pulls up plans to go public
- Large Japanese property corporation entered the Australian & NZ serviced Apartments/accommodation Industry
- iSaveWeb Lite – Make Copies of Your Favorite Websites
- UnlimitedHand Haptic Game Controller: finalist of Wearable Technologies Innovation World Cup, joins Arduino AtHeart and Amazon LaunchPad to reach hackers worldwide
- “Smart” concept for cover planting wins Farming by Satellite Prize
- L’équipe française remporte le prix paneuropéen Farming by Satellite
- CityJet Cabin Crew Recruitment Day in Brussels, Belgium
- SENA LANCE UNE APPLICATION POUR SMARTPHONE INNOVANTE POUR CONNECTER LES MOTARDS DU MONDE ENTIER
- SENA FÜHRT WEGWEISENDE SMARTPHONE-APP FÜR DIE VERBINDUNG VON FAHRERN WELTWEIT EIN
- SENA LAUNCHES GROUNDBREAKING SMARTPHONE APP TO CONNECT RIDERS WORLDWIDE
- Cabin Crew Recruitment Days taking place in Brussels, Belgium
- Gudny Aspaas Returns with a New Album
- Unique patent-pending “Body Camera” as a PTT Microphone: X-Surveillance DS300
- New York’s Health Agency (NYSDOH) Cited in Iraq War’s Blowback
- Model at the age of 90 – Genia Galberstadt
- Vivier Chief Executive, Luigi Wewege Announces New Book: The Digital Banking Revolution
- NET-DYN Awarded Top Rated Status on Major E-commerce Platform Amazon
- Startup Founders: Are You Ready To Accelerate Your Business?
- ABBYY Launches an Open API for Its Trademark Lingvo Dictionaries
- Soldi troppo in nero: una compagnia Europea paga a gli guerriglieri
- Leading International Entrepreneur moves into Royal Circles
- DAN GRACE JOINS SKILLSTORM AS EVP, OPERATIONAL SERVICES
- The Rose receives 2016 Jack Kemp Excellence in Affordable and Workforce Housing Award from the Urban Land Institute
- L’argent trop «noir»: Une société européenne paye aux rebelles
- TS EMEA Takes "A Bridge to the Future" at the 29th World LPG Forum
- Startup mentored by Promwad created one of the best IoT products in Europe
- Baton Rouge Based Roof Crafters Launches New CRM Software For Clients
- Real Estate Lead Partner Moves Headquarters To Nashville TN
- Introducing Torque Control Cordless Angle Wrenches from Express Assembly Products
- WorldSIM is now the most connected mobile network in the world
- SIXTEEN NEW COMPANIES ENTER INTO PATENT LICENSE AGREEMENTS WITH CHRIMAR
- Bang-Bang in Watchland
- GenQual and R-Pharm collaborate to deliver predictive diagnostics for novel anti-IL-6 antibody for autoimmune diseases
- Discount Airport Parking Website Announces Expansion Plans
- TRAINERS EDGE VETERANS CHARITY FAMILY DAY AND FITNESS EVENT
- Casino-X Enters the New Year With Brand New Look
- WorldSIM launches a new international SIM card that ends roaming charges for travellers worldwide
- A Window into the Philippines: Permanent New York City Window Display at the Philippine Center Showcases the Beautiful Country
- Automaten Herz launches new gaming info-portal for German online audience
- New technology solves digital overload for family memories
- The Metropolitan Council approves a $2M grant to fund a landmark, transit-oriented development in the heart of St. Louis Park, Minnesota