San Diego, CA, 2017-Apr-18 — /EPR Network/ — Every company has a crisis from time to time. If the company is small or medium in size, one crisis can take it off the map. Here are some directives that will get you through your next one; share it with your senior staff and don’t read it ‘after’ the event occurred, this should be in memory lest you compete with United for news space.
1. TRY TO RESOLVE IT WITH SOMETHING THAT COMES EASILY TO YOU, THAT YOUR CUSTOMER VALUES. Whatever business you are in, you get your goods or services wholesale (free flights, even on a standby basis). Try to resolve the problem by offering something that has a high perceived value but is not so dear to you that it creates a large loss. The customer is ‘not’ always right, but the customer can write something about you on Yelp and, as it hurts you more to respond, they will ‘seem’ right to the public, who will only read one side of it all.
2. AVOID CALLING THE POLICE (of any kind) FOR A NON-CRIMINAL INCIDENT. Once you try to make the police force your own, and they step in with people who are trained to control others, you will have alienated your client past the point of no return. Worse yet, if the person flails and touches a police officer, he or she now gets a criminal record thanks to you and believe me, you will pay dearly for that. As stupid goes, this is the most stupid move a company can use against a client when the company is not at threat. A disagreement is never resolved when one party is fully armed and the other is afraid of arrest.
3. SHOW THEM WHO THE MANAGEMENT REALLY IS, AND DEMONSTRATE COMPASSION FOR THE SITUATION. If your story makes it to social media, the first response from the CEO should be an instant public apology. The public needs to think of him or her as a nice, warm, empathetic individual who just had the bad luck of hiring someone who had no common sense. Mistakes happen. The public forgives you. If, on the other hand the CEO makes a bad impression or supports his or her staff, regardless of their poor choices, then people will fear the company and avoid it all costs. Do you understand?
4. DO NOT ANGER A CUSTOMER AND THEN ACCUSE HIM OR HER WITH BEING BELIGIRENT. This is a common tactic used by the police to arrest persons. Lawyers use it at trial all the time. You say something inflammatory, the person reacts, and you try to show the jury how unreasonable they are. This is dangerous behavior. Unless you have the powers of arrest, you shouldn’t do something to further anger your customer. If you have an angry customer, you should do everything you can to get them to a reasonable and calm state. The easiest way to do so: Offer something up front, then dine or have drinks with him or her in a casual manner and work out the rest. Using this system you may create the most loyal customer (who refers you business) when you are finished. People understand errors occur: it’s how you handle them.
5. IF YOU CAN’T SAY ANYTHING EMPATHETIC KEEP YOUR MOUTH SHUT. A client/customer may upset you. They are in a heated state due to what happened. Don’t get offended. Many of them don’t even mean what they say in the heat of the moment. If you can avoid internalizing the person’s comments, try to mentally experience the situation from their point of view. The easiest way to do it is not to think of them, but to think of one of your parents, your spouse, or your best friend having gone through this and how you would respond. Now do this with your client.
6. BE CAREFUL WITH YOUR WORDS AND POSITIONING OF YOUR FIRM.
It’s easy to say and do what you want when you have a golden parachute. However, a corporation’s reputation is largely based on the philosophies of the CEO when it comes to customer service. Remember the corporation took care of you and your family when you were looking for a career or opportunity. Now, it needs ‘you’. Do everything with all the integrity the company deserves, even if you have to bite your lip in doing so.
7. MAKE CONTACT WITH THE AGGRIEVED PARTY ASAP. Call the person, arrange a personal contact and work things out. Do not let it get to the media or to a lawyer’s office. Let the person hear from you and know that you care. The difference it will make is phenomenal. It does not matter that you are on vacation when it takes place or even sleeping. You are better off losing a night’s sleep than months of sleep in the future while your and you company’s reputation are in the balance. Don’t just contact the party, make this up to them. For example, in the United Airlines’ case, I would have put Dr Dao on a private jet asap, with a limousine waiting at the other end. The scenario would have turned out very differently.
8. WORK IT OUT BEFORE IT BECOMES A LAWSUIT.
If a situation is so out of control that a lawyer has been hired or litigation is threatened, resolve it immediately through opposing counsel. Negotiate and work out a settlement or understanding of some sort. Keep the settlement confidential if you have to, or be generous and go public with it; especially if you are in the wrong. The worst thing that can happen in this case is what happened with United Airlines: the lawyer was enjoying free national airtime to say what he wanted.
If a lawyer has been hired, you did not follow the rules above very well. Once the legal game is in play, in will only serve to infuriate the customer more and the legal game is all about sides. At this point, hope the party has a reasonable lawyer as you can no longer directly communicate with the person. Litigation is one of the worst diseases a company can catch, avoid it at all costs.
We hope your next crisis is averted rapidly and wish you the best!
Steven Riznyk is the CEO and senior litigator of San Diego Biz Law, a crisis-negotiator, and business strategist who is hired to analyze and resolve complex and crisis issues worldwide. He can be reached at 619-793-4827.
Contact: Amanda Berkshire
San Diego: (619) 793-4827
- Alliance Life Sciences is a Sponsor at World Pharma Pricing and Market Access Congress 2018, Showcasing Data and Technology Solutions
- PEGGY DEL FABBRO, CEO OF M. DAVIS & SONS, APPOINTED TO WOMEN’S ENTERPRISE FORUM LEADERSHIP TEAM
- Harald Xperience first in Finland to take augmented reality (AR) to restaurants
- 2018 ‘Farming by Satellite’ Prize seeks entries from across Europe
- Multi Country Multi City Travel Roadshow @ India, Australia & Middle East
- BookingPal étend ses activités en France à mesure que les opérations européennes grandissent
- Schuster Manfred Hubert agrees with future oil predictions
- World Life Experience is headed to Ljubljana
- M. Davis & Sons Provides High-Tech Solutions with Messer Plasma Cutting Equipment
- Whirlpools World Spain eröffnet in Teulada größten Whirlpool-Showroom in ganz Spanien
- Whirlpools World Spain opens biggest whirlpool bath showroom in the whole country
- RCH Group to Showcase Innovative Selling Solutions at EuroCIS
- MeetingPackage.com Präsentiert einzigartiges Reservierungsportal für Meetings & Events
- MeetingPackage.com Lance son Moteur de Réservation Exclusif pour Réunions & Événements
- MeetingPackage.com Introduces Unique Booking Engine for Meetings & Events
- ANECON becomes Nagarro
- UK Education Consultancy Services Ltd announced that the premiere issue of Scientific European® (a popular science magazine) is released on 19 January 2018
- RCH Europe to Present Smart Solutions for POS at INTERGASTRA 2018
- ADVENTURE KINGS SOLAR PANEL RANGE – HOW MUCH POWER DO I NEED?
- Raport: Jak zaoszczędzić na hiszpańskich wakacjach nad morzem
- Onthuld: zo vind je de beste deals voor je zomervakantie naar Spanje
- Finden Sie diesen Sommer die besten Spanien Angebote in der Zwischensaison
- Revealed: How to get the best value savings on your Spanish summer holiday
- Point of Sale Systems: RCH Group Expands European Operations
- Racing Towards Retailization: WishKnish and InstantAccess.io Bring Down Usability Barriers to True Blockchain Adoption
- Airport Parking Helper Website Expands To Serve 130 Airports
- Adomik a obtenu la 14e place au classement 2017 TECHNOLOGY FAST 500 pour la zone EMEA et la 3e place au classement Deloitte 2017 TECHNOLOGY FAST 50 pour la France
- Adomik auf Rang 14 der 2017 TECHNOLOGY FAST 500 EMEA und auf Platz 3 der Deloitte 2017 TECHNOLOGY FAST 50 für Frankreich
- Adomik Awarded #14 Ranking in 2017 TECHNOLOGY FAST 500, EMEA; #3 ranking in Deloitte 2017 TECHNOLOGY FAST 50 for France
- MeetingPackage.com Launches its Exclusive Affiliate Partner Program
- P2P Investment Loan Platform Enters Blockchain Sector with ICO Launch
- International Symposium on the Accessibility to High-Value Medicine, December 5-6, 2017, London
- Axiomatics Releases New Version of SmartGuard™ for Big Data
- No Time To Waste! Conference Takes a Practical Approach to Tackling Waste Crime
- HET DIGITALE EINDEJAARSVUURWERK VAN ONELIFE!
- LE FEU D’ARTIFICE DIGITAL DE FIN D’ANNEE DE ONELIFE !
- ONELIFE’S YEAR-END DIGITAL FIREWORKS!
- Alliance News riceve un investimento strategico da parte di PA Group e dpa per sostenere l’espansione nell’area EMEA
- #SUCCESVOL #VERHUIZEN: VERHUIZEN NAAR HET BUITENLAND
- #REUSSIR SON #EXPATRIATION: LE PARCOURS DE L’EXPATRIATION
- #SUCCESS IN #RELOCATION: THE RELOCATION JOURNEY
- 99X Technology hosts its first international breakfast seminar on digitalization in Oslo
- Ms. America 2017 Oksana Vovk is a special guest at the Newport Beach Sculpture Exhibition, Phase III
- Spain-Holiday.com City Break Cost Index Autumn Winter 2017
- Simply Innovative Products, Inc. Receives First Samples off Production Mold
- M. Davis & Sons Acquires Val-Tech Inc.
- TechTrans Announces Partnership with Tidel
- Continuing Growth Triggers Expansion and New Office in Spain for MeetingPackage.com
- Top Performing Investment Manager, Chetan Kapur of ThinkStrategy Capital, Went Way Above and Beyond for Investors which Enjoyed Leading Returns for a Decade
- 99X Technology drives digital disruption at Webdagene 2017 Oslo
- The Certified Angus Beef® brand honors retail, distributor stars
- FOURTEEN ADDITIONAL COMPANIES ENTER INTO PATENT LICENSE AGREEMENTS WITH CHRIMAR
- В Киеве состоится SphereCon 2017 – конференция, объединяющая Ruby on Rails, Go, разработчиков программного обеспечения и дизайнеров
- TechTrans Announces Partnership with Tidel
- Axiomatics Data-Centric Dynamic Authorization Product Suite Recommended in New KuppingerCole Analyst Report
- Throne of Lies, the highly anticipated online game of Deceit, launches on Steam
- SecBI and Innovery Announce Partnership to Promote SecBI’s “Autonomous Investigation” Cybersecurity Solution to the Italian and Spanish Markets
- "Heillandi Peking" Ljósmyndasýning um ferðalög haldin í Reykjavík
- Grammy Winner Coolio & Wrestling Legend Virgil on an Adult Star’s Presidential Ticket – Press Conference
- Promwad partners with Asian chip vendors to offer cost-effective electronic designs in Europe
- Invacare introduce their first touch screen remote
- Invacare International take powerchairs to a new level
- Industrial Laser Peening Research at ZAL Techcenter
- Blind Children Find New Hope Through Music in Wuhan, China
- Sogu has launched its first KickStarter Campaign
- NFINOX Forex and CFD Broker Increases Additional Client Money Insurance to £1,000,000
- Police Body Cameras by X-Surveillance
- Forms-2-Go – Complete Set of Business Forms for Smartphones, Tablets and PCs
- BookingPal annonce un nouveau partenariat avec Arkiane
- Laser Peening Metal Enhancement System Sold to ZAL Center of Applied Aeronautical Research in Hamburg
- TS EMEA to Exhibit at AEGPL 2017 with NextGen Mobility Solutions On Hand
- Consumers Demand Benevolent Capitalism
- New Apps to Download Facebook posts and Twitter tweets
- Comment trouver un bon professeur sur le Web?
- MEDLAB Series expands its presence into Europe
- Jeff Martin Produces Exquisite Debut EP for New Australian Indie Duo, Secret Solis
- Radius Travel anuncia su asociación con mTrip en soluciones móviles para empresas
- Taste of Adventure Wins 2017 FoodTrekking Award for Best Food Travel Blog
- Radius Travel anuncia su asociación con mTrip en soluciones móviles para empresas
- Milestone for the diagnosis of inflammatory bowel disease
- BLINGBY ANNOUNCES PARTNERSHIP WITH BRITISH POP DUO OMYO
- KIWITECH ANNOUNCES STRATEGIC PARTNERSHIP WITH BLINGBY
- Oregon Grow Cabinets Launches Today - Home Growing, Refined
- BroadSource Launches EMU SaaS in Europe
- B&B Hotels selects Vertical Booking CRS for enterprise hotel distribution across their 400 hotels
- Soracom launched secure and scalable IoT platform in Europe
- Nor-Tech Offers European Organizations Free Simulation Tests on a High Performance Computer Cluster for CAE, CFD, FEA Software
- ExpressVPN svela il sito multilingue
- ExpressVPN présente son site décliné en plusieurs langues
- Alliance News lancia il primo servizio di news finanziarie in lingua italiana attivo 24 ore
- Der ehemalige Banker Mike Baur verrät sein Erfolgsrezept für die Schweizer Wirtschaft
- LINKS Foundation
- Preply, plateforme d’amélioration continue pour le tutorat et les études en ligne, arrive en France
- PARENTS WHO WANT TO STYLE THEIR CHILDREN IN THE LATEST STREET STYLE AND FASHION TRENDS CAN NOW DO SO THANKS TO MINI TREND
- MDM GROUP AG pulls up plans to go public
- Large Japanese property corporation entered the Australian & NZ serviced Apartments/accommodation Industry
- iSaveWeb Lite – Make Copies of Your Favorite Websites
- UnlimitedHand Haptic Game Controller: finalist of Wearable Technologies Innovation World Cup, joins Arduino AtHeart and Amazon LaunchPad to reach hackers worldwide
- “Smart” concept for cover planting wins Farming by Satellite Prize
- L’équipe française remporte le prix paneuropéen Farming by Satellite
- CityJet Cabin Crew Recruitment Day in Brussels, Belgium
- SENA LANCE UNE APPLICATION POUR SMARTPHONE INNOVANTE POUR CONNECTER LES MOTARDS DU MONDE ENTIER
- SENA FÜHRT WEGWEISENDE SMARTPHONE-APP FÜR DIE VERBINDUNG VON FAHRERN WELTWEIT EIN
- SENA LAUNCHES GROUNDBREAKING SMARTPHONE APP TO CONNECT RIDERS WORLDWIDE
- Cabin Crew Recruitment Days taking place in Brussels, Belgium
- Gudny Aspaas Returns with a New Album
- Unique patent-pending “Body Camera” as a PTT Microphone: X-Surveillance DS300
- New York’s Health Agency (NYSDOH) Cited in Iraq War’s Blowback
- Model at the age of 90 – Genia Galberstadt
- Vivier Chief Executive, Luigi Wewege Announces New Book: The Digital Banking Revolution
- NET-DYN Awarded Top Rated Status on Major E-commerce Platform Amazon
- Startup Founders: Are You Ready To Accelerate Your Business?
- ABBYY Launches an Open API for Its Trademark Lingvo Dictionaries
- Soldi troppo in nero: una compagnia Europea paga a gli guerriglieri
- Leading International Entrepreneur moves into Royal Circles
- DAN GRACE JOINS SKILLSTORM AS EVP, OPERATIONAL SERVICES
- The Rose receives 2016 Jack Kemp Excellence in Affordable and Workforce Housing Award from the Urban Land Institute
- L’argent trop «noir»: Une société européenne paye aux rebelles
- TS EMEA Takes "A Bridge to the Future" at the 29th World LPG Forum
- Startup mentored by Promwad created one of the best IoT products in Europe
- Baton Rouge Based Roof Crafters Launches New CRM Software For Clients
- Real Estate Lead Partner Moves Headquarters To Nashville TN
- Introducing Torque Control Cordless Angle Wrenches from Express Assembly Products
- WorldSIM is now the most connected mobile network in the world
- SIXTEEN NEW COMPANIES ENTER INTO PATENT LICENSE AGREEMENTS WITH CHRIMAR
- Bang-Bang in Watchland
- GenQual and R-Pharm collaborate to deliver predictive diagnostics for novel anti-IL-6 antibody for autoimmune diseases
- Discount Airport Parking Website Announces Expansion Plans
- TRAINERS EDGE VETERANS CHARITY FAMILY DAY AND FITNESS EVENT
- Casino-X Enters the New Year With Brand New Look
- WorldSIM launches a new international SIM card that ends roaming charges for travellers worldwide
- A Window into the Philippines: Permanent New York City Window Display at the Philippine Center Showcases the Beautiful Country
- Automaten Herz launches new gaming info-portal for German online audience
- New technology solves digital overload for family memories
- The Metropolitan Council approves a $2M grant to fund a landmark, transit-oriented development in the heart of St. Louis Park, Minnesota